Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Jun 20 13:21:17 PDT 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I understand security needs ("a certain group keeping mum about
> plans"), but this is a tricky question. The problem of vanguardism
> (a select few in the know & the rest out of the loop) originated in
> security needs.

I don't think there was a problem with vanguardism in the scenario group, although the agenda-setting group (the group that met before the Spokescouncil) is the most at risk for vanguardism. I think the way to counteract this is to make sure that a variety of delegates from affinity groups are represented in these groups. For example, the scenario group included DAN members, anarchists, ISO members, and others.

> >I understand what you are saying about long meetings. I think a way to remedy
> >this situation is for those of us who are working people (and usually older)
> >to keep challenging younger activists on this.
>
> I agree with you on this one.
>
> >I don't see how this relates to race. This is an activist style that needs to
> >be changed.
>
> The relationship between organizing style and race isn't simple. But
> I'm really speaking from local experience here. The severest
> criticism of consensus-style meetings (and inability of young white
> activists to make up their minds & their enjoyment of voicing their
> individual opinions for the sake of voicing them, whether or not the
> opinions in question are directly related to the topic at hand) came
> from the main organizer of the Afrikan Student Union -- the most
> activist org on campus. Young white activists are more individualist
> than young black activists, even if we limit our discussion to youths.

Exactly! It isn't simple, which is why these challenges continue to dog us. I'm glad that you are talking about the nitty gritty nature of this, because I'm really interested in figuring out how to solve these problems.

Speaking from my own experience, being a young white activist meant that I came from a background where few people shared my opinions (the racist suburbs of Kansas City). I had to learn how to overcome my geeky shyness in order to be more assertive in group meetings. When I was in social settings with people who didn't share my view of the world, I had to learn how to hold my own.

I just hope the younger generation solves this problem somehow.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe