Ugh.

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at mail.com
Tue Jun 20 15:46:17 PDT 2000

In retrospect, my response to Chuck on the Labor Party and Women was a tad glib.

What I should have said is that, to the extent that there exists a dearth of active female membership in the LP, it probably has less to do with the fact that chapter meetings are conducted using Robert's Rules than it does with a variety of subjective and objective factors (a less-than-visionary chapter leadership which views it as a club more than an effective political vehicle, a tendency towards a type of economism amongst some of the membership, the traditional labor movement problem of reproducing racist and sexist power relationships within the working class, a trade union bureaucracy which isn't friendly to the idea of independent class political action, a reluctance on the part of leadership to engage effectively with other independent political formations, the tendency by some in the social movements to write off the working class, and the white male working class in particular, as a potentially revolutionary force, etc.)

______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup