Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Jun 20 22:28:34 PDT 2000

At 11:07 PM 6/20/00 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > obviously anyone
> > with an 8th grade education can understand Capital or History & Class
> > Consciousness. Silly me; must be all those evil postmodernists over
> > on the shelf.
>
>Actually, the statement, "There is nothing to discuss" (re transformation
>problem) doesn't require an 8th grade education. Probably nursery
>school would do. It simply doesn't interest me -- and Marxists who
>make a point about it don't interest me very much either (at least
>on that topic).
>
>Carrol

sure my kid will say, "okay carrol, no doubt. now go check out your navel and report back to me about something that does interest you." and then he'll walk away and say, "ma, why is it that you people waste each other's time making statements about what bores you and what doesn't?"

then ma will explain all about the various debates within marxism because carrol just made a claim about where he stands with regard to those debates. i'll also point out that people play games of oneupmanship and the like as they take place on lists. he gets that because, you know, it's like a guy thang among the testosterone laden pre-adolescence set that hangs out at this joint.

in other words, horse hockey. in order to decode what you typed above one would have to know the internal debates that characterize the debate over the transformation problem, measurement, etc etc etc. that is, one would have to understand why it's meaningful, can be deployed meaningfully, and what you are actually saying when you say it doesn't interest you. for you to say that something bores you would strike an outsider as one of the more trivial things you've ever typed (and that's...uhhh well never mind). however, it's not trivial at all because you are staking a claim about what counts in marxist theory, what's more important to concern ourselves with, and so forth.

speaking of boring, that brings me around to my original point: yoshie's complaint that anarchists are cliquish is waaaaaaaay trivial, so trivial it's an embarrassing claim to have made at all. it's like commenting on cock roaches in florida

kelley