Protests to save Shaka Sankofa

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Jun 20 23:48:49 PDT 2000

>.
>
>As far as Shaka Sankofa's "funny name" is concerned, I suppose
>Sokolowski also thinks the names of political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal
>or the extraordinary Malcolm X are likewise "funny." As such, he
>betrays a racist ignorance of the historical and social factors which
>lead some African-Americans to adopt African, Arabic or symbolic names.

oh please, woj was mocking the propensity of some on the left to become enamored of certain figures because they're ethnic. elsehwere some have referred to this, rightly or wrongly, as third worldis. woj was hardly belittling the actions of Malcolm X or mumia but the idiocy of a left that valorzies and romanticizes. e.g., When patricia hill collins, a black feminist, came to speak, white women in my feminist theory course were bummed because she didn't wear african head dress. as if somehow she was *supposed* to wear that in order to appropriately signify her politics. the old turquoise skirted business suit she wore just didn't go over well among whities at all. not surprisingly, the black women in the classroom got up and walked out of that room in disgust.

kelley