CNN on Graham

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 21 00:02:15 PDT 2000

Thanks Yoshie. Yeah, i see where it mentions Graham's bragging, but it isn't the author stating that, it's the victim of his rape stating that he had bragged about it to her. The article seemed to give pretty fair play to the supporters of a new trial. The momentum around the death penalty issue is amazing to me, something I didn't think we were gonna see for a while. The focus, if the DP Abolition goal is ever to be reached has to be on the use of the DP to put to death people who would not be put to death if they had a decent lawyer, or put more bluntly, if they were not poor. Thank God for the OJ trial. The pundits keep on hoping that this issue doesn't become a 'campaign issue,' but it looks to be picking up steam despite their wishes. I knew we could have neo-liberalism and free trade with rogue states, gays kissing on prime time TV,... but I didn't see how we could have that *and* an end to the death penalty...Life in a world of globalized capitalist relations only gets more and more interesting....

Steve

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822