Two Cheers for Bureaucracy (Re: Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Andrew English aenglish at igc.org
Wed Jun 21 06:35:22 PDT 2000

Every mass movement (unions, political parties, etc.) with any staying power has an apparatus. No serious movement cannot continue for very long without paid full-timers. The question to be struggled for is whether the apparatus is ultimately responsible to the rank-and-file members or whether the apparatus develops a life of its own and puts its own interests ahead of the members.

Even anarchist mass movements if they persist for very long (Spain) develop a bureaucracy.

-Andy English

-----Original Message----- From: Alex LoCascio <alexlocascio at mail.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 6:40 PM Subject: RE: Two Cheers for Bureaucracy (Re: Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

>Nathan, baby, this is incredibly fucking naive. For bureaucracy's tendency
>to create "vibrant organizational structures," please see:
>
>Buhle, Paul. _Taking Care of Business: Samuel Gompers, George Meaney, Lane
>Kirkland, and the Tragedy of American Labor_
>
>Moody, Kim. _An Injury to All: The Decline of Organized Labor in the United
>States_
>
>Trotsky, Leon. _The Revolution Betrayed_
>
>Better yet, try actually working for a labor union, then tell me about
>bureaucracy's salutory effects on labor and social movements.
>
>cheers,
>
>Alex L.

D.C.?