A16 = white?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jun 21 12:11:11 PDT 2000

Doug: I'm really glad you asked Njoki to answer the questions raised on this list and in the ColorLines article. I spent a lot of time in April thinking about these questions, because I had read the other post-Seattle ColorLines article and many of us were aware of these issues.

I think Milloy provided the best answer to the question about race. I could post it on my website if anybody wants to read it. It's probably buried now behind the Post's fee barrier.

I'm glad that Njoki brought up point 2 because these discussions (and the criticisms from newspaper pundits) to some extent "disappear" activists of color and invalidate the actions of those who *did* attend A16 or were involved in the organizing. Among my circle of local anarchist and activist friends, there were people of color like Javi, who participated in working groups and on A16 hung out with the Anarchist Soccer League affinity group. There was my good friend Kadd, who is of a mixed background, some of which includes Native American. He did a lot of work in the scenario working group, was in the ASL affinity group, and got arrested at the A17 line crossing. There was Nisha, a woman from India, whom I've helped put on the National Conference on Civil Disobedience. She ran the the Welcome Center at the Convergence Space and was arrested when the fire department closed down the Convergence Space.

There were people of color at A16, if anybody had bothered to look around. Yes, there should be more, but let's not cheapen the participation of those who worked hard to make A16 successful!

Chuck0