Savings vs Social Security?

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Wed Jun 21 17:23:12 PDT 2000

sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky) wrote: Subject: RE: Savings vs Social Security?

. . . But maybe the PE explanation is using the public sector to boost national savings rates, which is something that central bankers seem to worry about. Doug

No doubt, but the question is what's the next layer of the onion. What is the material interest underlying a worry about the national savings rate. Is it anti-inflationism and anti-public sector (as I have proposed), or other stuff?

mbs

Indeed. That is what I am after. My feeling is that Social Security isn't savings if it goes to my pocket for me to use, but it is savings if it goes to somebody else's pocket for somebody else to use. I might get some small change trickled down.

I regret my paranoia but that is how I read Martin Feldstein.

Max asks the question: What is the material interest underlying this (neurotic?) worry about national savings? Cui bono?

-- John K. Taber