[helary at eskimo.com: Re: WHO's ranking of health systems]

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Thu Jun 22 08:44:38 PDT 2000

At 10:42 AM 6/22/00, Doug wrote:
>JC Helary wrote:
>
>>shows Japan first place in :
>>
>>in the 'attainment of goals' category
>>-Health Level (Dale) -don't ask me what it means
>
>DALE = Disability Adjusted Life Expectancy, which adjusts the raw life
>expectancy to come up with an internationally comparable figure expressing
>how many healthy years one can expect to have. Marta, anyone - any
>problems with this concept? Seems to demean the lives of those with
>disabilities.

Yeah, its based on the same concept as the creepy QALY's (qualtity of life year). There is considerable literature on this in the health evaluation field (a mainstream critique of their use as a way of discriminating against people with disabilities is D. C. Hadorn's article in JAMA back in 1992). I think the notion of trying to incorporate quality of life into health outcomes is good but no matter how sophisticated the attempt becomes mathemagically, there are inherent problems.

QALY's and DALE's attempt to do two unquantifiable things. Attempt to evaluate the subjective experience of quality in life and also view these numbers as a one-dimensional index of societal values for treating people. Generally, people in the health evaluation field are far too comfortable tossing these numbers around.

Note that this is not just a theoretical discussion. The original Oregon medicaid rationing plan explicitly discounted health improvements for people with disabilities. Not just creepy then, but criminal.

Peace,

Jim

"yes there comes a booming sound

used to come from the underground

now it emanates from a kinda welfare state

of the soul (yeah baby the soul)"

--Kurt Wagner (Lambchop), "Up with People"