One-Half Cheer for the Old Guard!

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Thu Jun 22 14:44:33 PDT 2000

Brad DeLong wrote:

> Perhaps the greatest feat of mind control I ever saw was when David
> Ellwood and Gene Sperling convinced WJC that even though he didn't
> like "welfare" he liked Food Stamps and EITC--that they weren't part
> of "welfare."
>
> GWB and company have no doubt that EITC and Food Stamps are part of
> "welfare" and would make good skeet at which to shoot...

...at which point Marian Wright Edelman and Jesse Jackson would pull out all the stops to fight it, which they pointedly did not do in 1996 when their man was leading the attack.

Food Stamps will not be gutted in the next Administration. But if it is, it's more likely to be done by a Democrat than a Republican. Bob Kerrey and Daniel Moynihan have done more to help the anti-Social Security crusade than 1,000 Dick Armeys could do in a lifetime.

Seth