new zealand

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Jun 21 16:36:08 PDT 2000

Michael, For what its worth I wandered down the corridor and asked one of the guys who does the manifesto analysis stuff here and according to him the Labour party has moved considerably to the left from about 1990 onward. Helen Clark, the current PM, is on record in the 1996 campaign as having apologised for the 1984-1990 Labour governments economic program, basically saying that "Rogernomics" was a mistake. This accords with my personal experience of the Labour party in recent years. I must say though that I think this government is more about doing some stuff that the traditional left likes and repaying some favours to their mates than having any kind of serious social democratic strategy I didn't perceive the 1987 labour Relations Act past by the Labour govt as being particularly anti- Union either, particularly when compared to the Employment Contracts Act past by National

The Employment Relations Bill currently before parliament is a major move in favour of unions and despite some back sliding on the part of Labour, due to a very adverse reaction by business, will almost certainly pass into law soon basically unchanged. If you are particularly interested in the specific content of the bill I am more than happy to forward you a copy of the bill and several commentaries on it. You might also like to check out the department of Labour website, http://www.dol.govt.nz/ or the cabinet web site, http://www.executive.govt.nz/ or for the "business view" the national parties site at http://www.national.org.nz/ .

Bill Cochrane Archivist Department of Political Science and Public Policy University of Waikato Private Bag Hamilton New Zealand

Phone/Fax (07) 8384798 E-Mail billc at waikato.ac.nz