WHO HEALTH REPORT Japan health systems ranked best (???)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 19:07:04 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/22/00 2:19:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

<< >Blacks were considered three fifths of a person.

That's a hideous statistic, but wasn't the effect of this to reduce

Southern representation in Congress? I thought the masters wanted to

count their slaves, but not let them vote.

Doug >>

The effect was to increase Southern representation, since the other choice on the table was to not count the slaves for purposes of Congressional representation at all. Btw, JS Mill, about whom we have been saying such nice things, wanted to give extra votes to the more educated, while hsi flat headed dad wanted one-person one vote universal suffrage. --jks