new zealand

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Sat Jun 24 14:16:39 PDT 2000

John While I agree with a lot of what you say I would strongly disagree that the greens are the "natural allies of labour" or that in order to make "significant gains for the working class it will be necessary that both the Alliance and the Greens "assist" Labour in holding the line." The greens have done as much as possible to damage the Alliance both immediately prior to leaving it and since. Bluntly the green party is attempting to effect the political assassination of the Alliance with the ultimate goal of becoming Labours coalition partner of choice. Given the petty bourgeois nature of its membership I would not rule out a coalition with a more centrist national party either. In my experience the individual members of the green party, with a few honourable exceptions, do not give a flying fuck about workers and don't even think in terms of class - quite probably denying that class even exists.
> Does 1999 (the year Labour and the Alliance took office). represent > a
> significant reversal in previous Labour party policy in employment law and
> industrial relations? The answer has to be yes, but qualified.
This is simply untrue, Read the IR policy from the labour party from 1993, 1996, 1999 what's the big change? The ERB gives concrete form to long established labour party policy - revoke the ECA, return to a more prescriptive IR framework, reinstate the centrality of collective bargaining and the role of Unions. When did you ever hear Margaret Wilson say different? The legislation as a whole though is pretty main stream IR in western countries though the right to strike is very restricted, I reckon the implementation of good faith bargaining sucks, the ERB does nothing much to encourage Unions to actually organise members - back to relying on the IR law to do the organising for you and the way the ERB stands now we might well end up with some interesting Union v Union stouchs on some sites. Hope your enjoying another sunny Wellington winter Cheers Bill Cochrane PS is it true that both Steve Marshall and Ken Douglas have slithered up to Clark warning of the "dire" employment effects of the ERB?