new zealand

John.Pennington at parliament.govt.nz John.Pennington at parliament.govt.nz
Sun Jun 25 15:41:37 PDT 2000

Hi Bill As regards your criticisms, or qualifications of what I wrote regarding the Greens, I'm not sure I ever stated that they are natural allies of labour, I tend to agree that class is not a very significant issue, if an issue at all with many Greens, (even if on occasion they pay lip service to it). The point I was trying to make vis a vis the Greens was given the set of power relations in this country, at least in terms of parliamentary power the Greens are a necessary element in the mix, at least for the forseeable future. The Alliance (with the exception of Phillida Bunkle) must accept that it has not engaged seriously enough with these issues and has allowed the Greens to stake out this territory almost unopposed. I believe any credible leftwing party or organisation must treat the natural and social worlds as equal priorities.

I don't doubt the Greens could find their way to supping with a more pragmatic national party, especially if they are able to grow the small/medium business vote, a not entirely remote possibility. As far as the Greens working to replace the Alliance as Labour's 'natural' partner this should not come as a surprise, after all that was their intention when they left the Alliance.

Of course your right to say that the ERB does not represent a signigficant shift in Labour IR policy. What I meant to suggest is however tepid the the ERB is, it does represents a definite change in direction from the previous ECA regime. I'm puzzled when you say the good faith bargaining provision sucks perhaps you could elaborate.

What does suck is the weather down here at the moment.

Chees

John