1900 House

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 12:45:48 PDT 2000

why survey data reveal that women are
> spending more time doing
> housework than ever before (that was as of the mid
> 80s).

I've heard this before, but I'm not sure that I buy it. What are her sources? Are they counting 2 hours waiting for a washing machine to finish a load as 2 hours "working"?

part of it is
> because modern household appliance actually make
> more work because along
> with technological developments come different
> standards. e.g., in the
> olden daze, bread was of the quick bread kind or
> sour dought starter
> bread. (corn bread, batter breads which don't
> require kneading and
> elaborate steps).

Not a good example. I personally don't know anyone who actually makes their own bread unless they're some sort of fresh bread fetishist - and even then they probably use one of those nifty bread machines that do all the work for you.

> as well as cakes that required considerably more
effort
> to make.

Again, I would classify baking cakes and the like in a modern household to be more of a leisure activity than necessary "housework". Of course, I'm a bachelor with a very messy house, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about (as usual)...

Jim Baird