1900 House

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 26 12:55:00 PDT 2000

Enrique asks:

>kelley wrote:
>
> > > Just watching her and her daughters doing

> > yer avg family had some form of servants, for one.
>
>How's that possible? How can the *average* family have servants?

"The average family" did not have live-in servants, but Kelley might have meant the average bourgeois family or else the average suffragette's family???

BTW, Mary Romero writes in _Maid in the U.S.A._ (NY: Routledge, 1992): "Census figures reveal that the percentage of women employed in domestic work has dropped steadily since the turn of the century. In 1900, 28.7 percent of the female labor force was employed in domestic work, but in 1970, only 5.1 percent worked in the occupation" (71). I don't have figures for England, however.

Romero also writes (on p.91):

***** Today, Mexican immigrant women tend to predominate in larger cities, particularly along the border. Researchers estimate that anywhere from 18,000 to 26,000 domestics are employed in private residences in El Paso.[114] In El Paso and other areas near the border, labor is so cheap that most middle class families have at least one servant, and some also employ a laundress, nursemaid and yardman.[115]

[114] Rosalia Solorzano Torres, "Women, Labor, and the U.S.-Mexico Border: Mexican Maids in El Paso, Texas," in _Mexicans at Work in the United States_, ed., Margarita Melville, p.77.

[115] Mary Wilson Warton, "Methodism at Work among the Spanish-Speaking People of El Paso, Texas," p.15. *****

It is not clear from the book how Romero & her sources exactly define "middle class."

Yoshie