RES: Korea's blessing

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Tue Jun 27 11:01:34 PDT 2000

plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

Apropos of nothing in particular, the Guardian Weekly had an article on the younger Kim, in the context of recent negotiations, calling him "rational" and "charming,' which is news to me, but what I know except what I read in the papers.

I wish people would grow up and stop calling Brad (or any one else) racist merely because they say something negative about a third world person. I think Idi Amin is a savage, the late unlamented Hafiz Assad was a beast, Saddam Hussein is a vicious predator and a pathological bully. So I'm a racist now? Of course I also think that Clinton is a sociopathic murderer, Henry Kissinger is a war criminal and a cockroach, Ariel Sharon is a Nazi--oops, two of those people are Jews, so maybe I am an anti-semite, or wait, I'm Jewish, so I am a self-hating Jew, but that's a Zionist insult, not an anti-imperialist one, I get so confused.

Just chill out, guys. Brad is no racist and neither am I, and it does not further discussion to be yelling Racist!

--jks

In a message dated Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:13:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

<< >Now Koreans are dogs? The repellent DeLong is not only loopy with
>his history but racist besides.
>Tim Shorrock
>
>Brad DeLong writes:
>Think of two dogs snarling at each other. Truman holds tight to the
>leash on his dog. Stalin puts steel caps on his, and lets the leash
>slip...

No. Koreans aren't the dogs. Kim Il Sung and Syngman Rhee are the dogs.

Do you need an English class to learn how to understand metaphor?