Average family

Tue Jun 27 13:19:46 PDT 2000

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 06/27/00 02:31PM >>>

Surely Marx didn't speak of the "middle class" in a way that Ruth Cowan does:

-clip-

For Marx, the middle class = the bourgeoisie. For Cowan, "middle?class American women were defined as actual or potential readers of the better?quality women's magazines, such as the Ladies' Home Journal, American Home, Parents' Magazine, Good Housekeeping, and McCall's"!!! As Carrol noted, "it does not hold the same connotation (Mill's use) for almost any two writers or readers," and Marx's usage differs sharply from how the term gets used variously in American common sense.