Nader

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at mail.com
Tue Jun 27 15:01:15 PDT 2000

Indeed, p-b is far more useful than the broader "bourgeois" in terms of description, but the Sparts and other Trot-cults have a tendency to use it as a synonym for "someone that we disagree with."

You see The Onion headline about the Russian Revolution? The headline reads something like "Brooding Coffeehouse types Seize Power in Russia," with a quote from Lenin saying "the ruling class opresses the proletariat. They are sooo bourgeois."

Me, I'm one of those new class bureaucrats riding the wave of a workers movement that Burnham, Shachtman, and Chomsky warned you about. Time to go police the working class on behalf of the bourgeoisie...

(Although Jim Cannon called Burnham and Shachtman petit-bourgeois. I'm sooo confused...)

------Original Message------ From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Sent: June 27, 2000 9:10:20 PM GMT Subject: Re: Nader

Alex LoCascio wrote:

>Yup, but a lot of anarchoids seem to cavalierly throw the term around.
>
>To be fair, a lot of Trotskyists are also prone to denouncing each other as
>"petit-bourgeois."

I'm not a Trot, nor do I play one on TV, but I use the term petit bourgeois. I think it's very useful. Ralph Nader is p-b. The International Forum on Globalization is p-b. Objectively speaking, I'm p-b.

Doug

______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup