religion, US vs UK

Kendall Clark kclark at ntlug.org
Tue Jun 27 17:02:51 PDT 2000

Jim> It isn't just consevative Christians who criticize liberal

Jim> theologians for attempting to deny that they are really

Jim> agnostics or atheists. Some leading atheist philosophers

Jim> have made the same sorts of criticisms of liberal

Jim> theologians. Thus Sidney Hook argued that Paul Tillich was

Jim> really an atheist who just didn't want to admit it. Corliss

Jim> Lamont likewise contended that the bulk of liberal

Jim> theologians were really agnostics or atheists but were

Jim> unwilling to say so. On the other hand liberal theologians

Jim> like Don Cupitt contend that it is possible to be a believing

Jim> Christian while denying the tenets of traditional theism.

Jim> But Cupitt's theology seems to me to be little different from

Jim> the views espoused by many philosophers who would describe

Jim> themselves as atheistic naturalists.

Yes, though this determination has to be made case by case, I think. Richard Swinburne, at Oxford, makes a similar argument but based on some unusual historical claims, and his own philosophy of God. In other words, this kind of argument can take philosophical or psychological forms.

Cupitt's point (not his work as a whole) is, in my view, fairly unassailable: when one denies the tenents of traditional theism, one is denying a *conceptuality* which to some degree gives or fails to give expression to some basic reality. Being unable to distinguish between a conceptual apparatus and the reality which it describes or expresses is a hallmark, in my view, of a fundamentalist mindset.

The rough analogue is of right-wing, conservative cosmologists or astronomers running around claiming that the 'liberal' cosmologists Einstein or Hawking *really* deny the existence of the Universe but are unwilling to admit it because they have abandoned the Ptolemaic conceptuality.

In case anyone cares about these issues, the single best essay covering this ground is Schubert Ogden's "The Reality of God". I'm partial though since he was my teacher.

I suspect that with this post, we may have gone too far afield from the regular fare of lbo-talk. Sending followups to private mail, I suspect, is warranted. I'd be glad to hear otherwise.

Best, Kendall Clark