Nader

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Jun 27 18:58:53 PDT 2000

Alex LoCascio:
> First, you're confusing my "critique" with Klein's.
>
> Second, you anarchists have got to stop using the word "bourgeois" as a
> synonym for "those intellectuals we don't like" or "those non-anarchists who
> like effective organization" or "those uncool people who'd rather have a
> social revolution than a street party." Hell, bourgeois isn't even a
> synonym for the dreaded "rich people." So please get your terminology
> right.
>
> Besides, "bourgeois" isn't an insult, except to the more infantile sectors
> of the left community. The bourgeoisie have written some pretty damn good
> novels and plays, made some good sculptures and paintings, and composed some
> decent music. I also think constitutional democracy has served a nifty
> purpose over the years.
>
> So tell me Gordon, what are the street parties doing to *really* topple
> capitalism? They can call attention to an issue, but to be effective, you
> need to follow it up with effective long-term organization. The Nader
> campaign can serve as an organizational center for that.

I use and have always used _bourgeois_ with a precise meaning: the ruling class of a liberal capitalist polity. I should think that would be clear. In fact, it is deeply discouraging to think otherwise. Nor do I use _bourgeois_ as an insult; nor did I confuse your views with Klein's, which seem to be of the "maybe these guys are onto something" variety, as yours are not.

Given the evident obscurity of my writing style, it seems hopeless to advance thoughts about what anarchists are doing or should do. In any case I speak for no one but myself.