nooooooo problem

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Jun 27 22:26:18 PDT 2000

love how they appropriate slacker lingo....

FLIPPIN' BURGERS, ROBO-STYLE "No insurance, no taxes, no training, no holidays, no back talk, no-ooo problem," says a spokeswoman for AccuTemp Products, as she introduces Flipper, the robotic fast-food chef. Flipper can't make a Bernaise sauce, but it can handle grill duty with aplomb. In a demonstration at the National Restaurant Association convention, Flipper turned out nine sizzling hamburgers and 12 golden brown pancakes -- all uniform in size -- in 5 minutes and 24 seconds. What's even better than Flipper's efficiency, however, was that after scraping the grease off the griddle, it was set to go back to its 16-hour, seven-day-a-week work shift, doing the work of two employees. With the labor market tight, and demand for restauran t personnel increasing, fast-food joint owners are facing a major crunch in the comin g years: "We employ 11 million people now, and we're going to need more," says Steven Anderson, president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association. "We're projecting a need for another 2 million by 2010. Our biggest concern is where to find these folks." Flipper started out in life working on an IBM assembly line, before AccuTemp president Gene Tippmann refitted it to cook eggs, grill hamburgers and fry french fries. He predicts his company will have three or four Flippers out in the next year, available through a five-year lease package (including griddle and steamer) for $150,000.