RES: Korea's blessing

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Jun 29 06:45:24 PDT 2000

Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU>
> >Right now my list of causes of World War II is, roughly in
> >order:
> >
> >(1) Hitler

Carl Remick:
> And whence came Hitler, ex nihilo? IMO, the number one cause of WWII was
> WWI, which in turn was mainly caused by imperialism.

Imperialism went merrily along after World War I. There's no "in turn." I think the big revolution in imperial style occurred after World War II, where national imperialism began to be abandoned in favor of supranational control of the whole earth by a single ruling class. Once the U.S. had defeated or outlived the old empires, it wasn't needed any more.

It's true some of the Muslims are still skulking, but all the rest are either inside or hanging out at the door, are they not?