Univer$ity of Phoenix

jason rice red666er at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:59:39 PDT 2000

Thanks for the interesting article Chuck, and thanks to all who have emailed me on the side with sites and stories. One more gut churning tale out of Pennsylvania for you all to consider:

About 4 months ago the PA state system came REAL close to a faculty strike, for the usual reasons. One legislator, Representative Cohen, from somewhere outside of Philly, publicly made the comments that Penn. state school system graduates were, and I quote, "worthless." She went on to elaborate that Penn. state graduates could not perform even the most basic tasks on the job and had a bad reputation amongst state employers. Now bear in mind that my school was ranked nationally in the top 10 of state schools a few years back in Newsweek, that the PA lieutenant governer is a State system graduate, and that Money magazine (God forbid!) ranked Bloomsburgs honors program one of the best in the nation for 15K a years schools. So by the standards that vermin like Cohen adhere to, we do pretty damn well. State system graduates are competitive with many of the quasi-state (like the uber-university Penn State which is busy expanding expanding expanding into every area that already HAS a school to serve it) and private schools in the state. So her lines were obviously political posturing. My question was why? Why would someone who may have to depend upon the votes of state system graduates feel compelled to alienate them? Makes me think there must be some powerful motivations at work. The reponse was predictable, alumni associations went bananas and sent out letters to people all over the place denouncing Rep. Cohens comments. Her reponse was that such efforts were "childish" and she maintains that she was presenting "constructive criticism" to help the state do a better job. My ass. She was jumping onto what is shaping up (from the emails and articles Ive been reading) to be one fucking huge band wagon. This is a crime, and if I ever get the chance, I will tell her to so to her lying face. Jason Rice