Nader

John Thornton jthorn16 at home.com
Fri Jun 30 05:26:29 PDT 2000

The whole myth of American democracy depends on people participating in it. If the majority of people decided that they didn't like this system and therefore refused to participate, the myth would be shattered.

--

Joe R. Golowka

joegolowka at earthlink.net

So if 51% of our population doesn't vote, the myth of American style democracy would be shattered? Would only the non-voting segment be aware of the myth shattering or would everyone? It would seem to me that a vote for a third party candidate would send a message about the refusal to participate in a two party system. Millions of people writing in their own name would send a better message about refusal to participate in the sham. Not voting at all, according to mainstream media outlets, is a sign of ignorance and laziness and not a form of protest. If you think I'm being deliberately difficult to get along with ask yourself this. Would any election in this country be declared invalid because it was a sham that didn't reflect the will of the people, even if only 20% of the population participated? Or 10%? Or 5%?

Later - John T.