Calling James O'Connor! (was Liquidation Sale)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 1 15:20:19 PST 2000

Thanks for your two interesting posts with quotes.

Where do I say organic farmers or Monsanto are simple-minded? If you read what I do say I say that the matter is complicated. Your quite interesting attachment confirms that! It also shows that big bad Monsanto, now Pharmacia Upjohn, is aware of the risk. Certainly the main question for both the conventional farmer and the organic farmer is insect management but the question of the relative risk of resistance is still important, and that varies very much with the particular GM entity. For example in GM canola types modified to be resistant to various herbicides one of the main resistant weeds would be mustard but there is as yet no evidence of resistant mustard as far as I know. If canola is grown where there are no related weeds it is not clear that resistant weeds will soon develop. HOwever it is best to deploy multiple control practices, change crops and herbicides to prevent this from happening. This will no doubt become standard practice even in conventional industrial type agricultural and is already being recommended. Just how is the question of resistance involved in GM modification to resist drought or sprout early etc? By the way resistant volunteer canola is a problem. Volunteers from GM modified crops pop up in later crops where they are regarded as a weed. Already volunteer canola has been discovered that has triple resistance, that is resistance to three different herbicides. While this is a problem the resistant volunteers are easily controlled using other herbicides.

I do not think that one can ever completely avoid the problem of resistance pests, but even mainstream agriculture is becoming more aware of the problems of monoculture and magic bullets as means of control. As your appended article shows, even Monsanto is well aware its GM modified cotton should not occupy the entire field and that non-bt cotton should also be planted. There are resistance problems with drugs too. Does that mean the drugs should not be developed?

By the way Delta and Pine Land holds the patent for the terminator gene that causes plants to produce sterile seed and makes it impossible for farmers to save their seed.They hold the patent together with the US dept of agriculture. Monsanto originally intended to purchase it but has withdrawn the offer since they no longer intend to develop the terminator gene partly due to an effective campaign against them. It is quite possible that some other company will purchase it though. The terminator gene would avoid the problem of volunteer growth that is resistant to various herbicides. There would be no volunteers.

I agree that it could be that organic farmers would lose Bt as a control, if resistant strains develop. However, the GM modified organisms will also be useless as a means of pest control. Because of this in situations where resistant pests are a definite risk mutiple control methods rather than monoculture is the safer strategy, and as your appended article shows even Monsanto is not recommending monoculture

You say there can be no rational management of insect management under capitalism. In a sense you are right but in another sense just wrong. Monsanto wants to increase its profits. If a resistant pest develops quickly than it is not going to sell any btmodified GM seeds. So Monsanto has a definite interest in seeing to it that resistant pests do not develop. The policy outlined in the article and the controls on farmers you complain about are designed specifically to avoid the development of resistant pests. You have a problem with that?

Do you recommend taking GM companies into the public sector or not developing the technology at all? My complaint about many anti-GM groups apart from the fact that they often do not have their facts right, is that they do not appropriate capitalist corporations and technology and place it under social ownership. People such as Shiva flat out reject GM technology. She even rejects the very conservative approach of Oxfam even though Oxfam wants GM research to be directed towards the needs of small farmers and to be strictly controlled. Her own stuff is filled with plain errors and calls for return to small farms. She says that with GM technology living things are made slaves. So her traditional farmers grow free plants?

By the way here is Vandana Shiva's take on Seattle: http://www.earthministry.org/Articles/VSWTO.htm

Cheers, Ken Hanly