Height of Stupidity & Ignorance Re Greek Drama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 1 22:23:28 PST 2000

First some background. For over 30 years I taught a course in ancient Greek literature. Since I knew no Greek and had never had a course myself in ancient Greek literature, I read an enormous amount of scholarship on Greek Drama over the years. Much of it was wrongheaded enough so that even an amateur could see its silliness. But never, not even in Cliff Notes, have I ever seen so stupid and ignorant a remark on Greek Drama as the following:

"Perhaps the first explicit formulation of interpassivity was given by Lacan in his commentary on the role of the Chorus in Greek tragedy:

When you go to the theatre in the evening, you are preoccupied

by the affairs of the day, by the pen that you lost, by the check

that you will have to sign next day. You shouldn't give yourselves

too much credit. Your emotions are taken charge of by the healthy

order displayed on the stage. The Chorus takes care of them. The

emotional commentary is done for you. . .Therefore you don't

have to worry; even if you don't feel anything, the Chorus will

feel in your stead."

This is not the clumsy comment of someone who has read at least a summary of some Greek tragedy. This is pure fraud. No one who has ever spent 30 minutes reading either Greek tragedy or the most naive commentary on it could possibly make a statement of this sort.

I am really peeved now at those on this list who have urged taking Lacan seriously. This is worse than Mary Baker Eddy. Any one who makes such a statement is not to be trusted to quote accurately from a Dick and Jane reader, let alone comment on human behavior.

Carrol