German power games on IMF

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:06:40 PST 2000

>[I talked with a German journalist living in NYC yesterday who said that
>Schroder & Co. are much more aggressive about asserting German - not
>European - power against U.S. "hegemony," which is the word they use, than
>the Christian Democrats ever were or are now.]

I don't see how this squares with the perception that, as the FT put it, Germany is "set to buckle under US pressure over IMF." Or is the point that Germany, in the past, never would have dreamed of promoting an IMF candidate who had not been pre-cleared by the U.S. and that Schroder & Co. wanted to force the U.S. into making an embarrassing, naked power play?