Accused Killer of 3 Is Linked to Racist Writing (fwd)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Mar 3 10:31:23 PST 2000

At 09:54 PM 3/2/00 -1000, Stephen Philion wrote:
>NY Times March 3, 2000
>
>Accused Killer of 3 Is Linked to Racist Writing
>
>By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> W ILKINSBURG, Pa., March 2 -- A black man accused of killing three
> people and wounding two in a shooting rampage had anti-white
> writings in his apartment and singled out whites during the attack,
> reassuring a black woman in his path, "Not you, sister," the
> authorities and witnesses said today.

All I see is a deranged individual whose actions are being transformed into a political icon and imbued with political meaning by the media.

In all likelihood, the guy was a nut-case dressing his craziness in an ideology. Paranoid schizophrenics do it quite often. However, in the media reports, this act of madness is being transformed to a political action - a rational expression of the irrational ideology.

That is the epitome of how the media and culture industry operates inthis country (and elsewhere, I presume) - facts are becoming mere icons or signifiers of cultural and political myths.

wojtek