Fwd: {FP} from Mike Davis

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 4 11:57:04 PST 2000

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:38:56 -0800 From: mike davis <amoctezuma at earthlink.net>

Dear Mike Alcalay,

I am one of the signatories to the petition circulated by Saul Landau. I am now convinced that the petition, far from helping heal wounds at Pacifica, simply provides `Left’ legitimacy to the management’s brutal attempt to restructure community-based broadcasting and peripheralize the progressive community. I am writing to apologize to you personally, a friend and comrade of many years, and to everyone else who has been involved in the struggle to save KPFA.

In retracting my endorsement of the petition, I am not repudiating friends in Los Angeles who asked me to sign in the first place. They include some of KPFK’s most dedicated broadcasters and activists. But it was hugely irresponsible on my part to fail to consult with you and other KPFA veterans. Having now done what I should have done in the first place - i.e. read opposing viewpoints and study the documentation - it is clear to me which I side I should be on.

This is a public apology, so please feel free to circulate this note.

Warmly,

Mike Davis History SUNY Stony Brook, NY 11794-4348

- /*This message comes via the freepac list. */