Peter Singer & Vegetarian Dogs (was Re: The Heiress and theAnarchists)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Mar 4 14:02:48 PST 2000

Ken Hanly wrote:

> > >Perhaps, I helped confuse matters here by my response, but you totally
> > >misconstrue
> > >Singer's argument. He is trying to prove that you cannot base the
> > >difference in
> > >treatment upon differences in intelligence but only upon the fact that the
> > >dull
> > >person is human. Read what he says even in your own quote. The only possible
> > >answer to why the dull person is given different treatment is that the
> > >person is
> > >human. For Pete's sake he is arguing that intelligence is not a marker of
> > >social
> > >worth as far as moral considerability is concerned. He does not question the
> > >disabled person's humanity.

Here are some Singer quotes: The following excerpt is taken from "Practical Ethics", by Peter Singer. It's the second edition and its latest printing is from this year (2 printings in 1997). Chapter 7, which this is taken from, is titled "Taking life: Humans". The text below can be found on pages 182-186.