Peter Singer & Vegetarian Dogs (was Re: The Heiress and theAnarchists)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Mar 5 12:28:27 PST 2000

Justin,

I just wrote a long response to this which Netscape dumped. AAAAAGH. So I will briefly rewrite.

I do not go for Singer's utilitarianism because I don't think people *know* what makes them happy. Parenting has its ups and downs, no one is guaranteed happiness from any child. a "healthy" child does not automatically equate with happiness. Anyway, why should children bear the burden of making parents happy. It seems like a silly premise to me.

You wrote: Singer's talk about infanticide and euthanasia is not to be applied to persons whose disabilities can be handled by reasonable or even extraordinary accommodations, but only to the most extreme cases.

But this is not so. The following excerpt is taken from "Practical Ethics", Chapter 7, which

titled "Taking life: Humans" pages 182-186.

Given these facts, suppose that a newborn baby is diagnosed as a hemophiliac. The parents, daunted by the prospect of bringing up a child with this condition, are not anxious for him to live. Could euthanasia be defended here? Our first reaction may well be a firm 'no', for the infant can be expected to have a life that is worth living, even if it is not quite as good as that of a normal baby. The 'prior existence' version of utilitarianism supports this judgment. The infant exists. His life can be expected to contain a positive balance of happiness over misery. To kill him would deprive him of the positive balance of happiness. Therefore it would be wrong.

On the 'total' version of utilitarianism, however, we cannot reach a decision on the basis of this information alone. The total view makes it necessary to ask whether the death of the hemophiliac infant would lead to the creation of another being who would not otherwise have existed. In other words, if the hemophiliac child is killed, will his parents have another child whom they would not have if the hemophiliac child lives? If they would, is the second child more likely to have a better life than the one killed?

Often it is possible to answer both these questions affirmatively. A woman may plan to have two children. If one dies while she is of child-bearing age, she may conceive another in its place. Suppose a woman planning to have two children has one normal child, then gives birth to a hemophiliac child. The burden of caring for that child may make it impossible for her to cope with a third child; but if the disabled child were to die, she would have another. It is plausible to suppose that the prospects of a happy life are better for a normal child than for a hemophiliac.

When the death of a disabled infant will lead to the birth of another infant with better prospects of a happy life, the total amount of happiness will be greater if the disabled infant is killed. The loss of happy life for the first infant is outweighed by the gain of a happier life for the second. Therefore, if killing the hemophiliac infant has no adverse effect on others, it would, according to the total view, be right to kill him.

******************************

The right goes to the parents in any instance.

I do think is is fair to criticize Singer for his lack of omission of a consideration of the societal prejudice and barriers which prevent disabled persons from leading what he may define as a qualitative life. In fact his omission shows an extreme insensitivity to what disabled people deal with. As I mentioned before, he did not even know any disabled people nor did he bother to get to know any back when he was writing this stuff.

Singer is not a Nazi, but his views are similar to social Darwinists who laid the foundation for what the Nazis did. An analogy to Peter Singer can be found in the writings of two social Darwinists: Alfred Hoche, a professor of medicine, and Rudolf Binding, a professor of law.

Singer, for instance, writes in "Practical Ethics": "Although people sometimes talk as if we should never judge a human life to be not worth living, there are times when such a judgment is obviously correct." As stated in the passage above, a baby with a condition as mild as hemophilia can be killed if such a death has "no adverse effects on others." He believes in ending anyone's life when it is "not worth living" and in the involuntary killing of anyone who has become a "burden" to their families (failure to bring them happiness).

The phrase "lives not worth living" came from the title of a book published in 1920, Release and Destruction of Lives Not Worth Living, by Hoche and Binding. The book defended the right to suicide, and called for the killing of not only incurably sick people but the mentally ill, the feeble-minded, and retarded and deformed children. Arguing that such people led "ballast lives" and were only "empty human husks," these professors medicalized the concept of killing disabled people by making it seem therapeutic; they contended that it would be "healing work" and humane to destroy such lives which, in their view, were "not worthy of life."

To Singer, the killing of disabled infants is therapeutic because it resolves the unhappiness of the parents. What is making choices purely based on degrees of happiness if there is not some therapeutic value involved - whether singer's view is an inaccurate one or not.

Singer's concept that an infant is a non person until it is 28 days old reeks of quackery. What is the difference between 28 and 29 days? Has the infant developed so remarkably in that one day that it is all of a sudden a "person" at 29 days?

Already, prenatal screening is used as a search and destroy mission to eradicate disabled fetuses. (a eugenic tool) If society were to adopt Singers view on infanticide, what is to prevent that from becoming a means of disposing all disabled infants? Devalued marginalized people are not given the same consideration as the over rated nondisabled.

I do think it is disingenuous of Singer to say that some distinction would be made between severely and non severely disabled infants during the killing decision making process when he himself doesn't make that distinction. Who is going to enact and control such a code of killing? Even if Singer were to retract his statement above, it is practically impossible (and I believe that he knows it) to make the distinction and control (enforce) that in our society.

One decade after the publication of Lives Not Worth Living over 275,000 disabled children and adults were "mercy" killed by their physicians. Many working disabled people were dragged to the hospitals to be gassed in chambers in hospital basements. 45% of the German physicians joined the Nazi party. American Physicians were envious of the German program. Do we think all that sentiment has dissipated into thin air?

I was not one of those who thought Singer should not be allowed to teach at Princeton, and I did not advocate to shut him up. But the fact that Singer was invited to and joined Princeton University's Center for Human Values signals the issue of infanticide may again be legitimate discussion for bioethicists. Perhaps some think that is no need for concern. Given our experience with the medical profession, and bioethicists in general many in the disability community think there is great cause for concern and this is why there are demos against him around the world.

I've got to get off now and get some work done, but here is a URL some may want to look at: http://www.thalidomide.ca/gwolbring

Marta

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/