WSJ 2/28 article on Cambodia

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 6 09:48:08 PST 2000

In *this*
>article, 3 months after what looks like the basest perfidy on the part of
>US unions, the Cambodian workers are *still* substantially better off than
>they were a year ago.

Michael, 18 plants that seem to have been constructed to take advantage of import quota increase have now been shut down. That is, people have moved, and now been released. I suppose it's back to cutting trees in mine infested countrysides and exporting ever more as terms of trade ever worsen. Yes perhaps for the workers who remain employed, they are substantially better off...for now. Otherwise, there seem to be thousands of persons who have been uprooted with little chance of new investments now being undertaken due to the use of social protection clause. I just get how this comes across as substantially better off.

I should also add that I don't blame UNITE for quota increase denial. My suspicion remains that the US state is hiding behind the union: its real reasons may be to 1. increase bargaining power, 2. to save quota increase for more US friendly third world capitalist state. Or maybe it was an election year gesture to get Mazur to come out strong for Gore. At any rate, the US capitalist state can't be trusted to impose these sanctions and quotas.

Yours, Rakesh

ps I'll look up Ajit Roy's piece.