Peter Singer & Vegetarian Dogs (was Re: The Heiress and theAnarchists)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Mar 6 16:48:35 PST 2000

Ken

Well one could spend an entire lifetime discussing this one but this is going to be my last post on this thread.

Obviously, I don't think Singer's philosophical construction is as air tight and you and Justin seem to think it is. I totally disregard his concept of "personhood." Is it scientifically possible at this point to determine that the intelligence of an under 28 year old infant is below a cat's intelligence? Based upon what? Because Singer says so? And even if it were possible, I'd say so what? The under one month old infant qualifies in my book as a person. I held my daughter in my hands at birth and I KNOW in the deepest sense that she recognized me. So we have a basic disagreement. I find Singer an elite bore and you two find him fascinating philosopher.

No one has answered this question - if you accept Singer's definition of personhood, how is it that a 29 year old day infant differs from a 28 day old infant? How is it that one day or even a week makes the infant transform from a "nonperson" into a "person"? Because Singer says it does?

If a parent does not want a disabled infant, it can be placed for adoption. A friend of mine adopted a Korean baby who has cerebral palsy. More disabled people are determining that they would rather have a disabled child. If no one adopts a child from an orphanage, the infant can grow to maturity and adopt its own family along the way. Who can say it would be better off dead?

The brand(s)of utilitarianism espoused by Dr. Singer, as it is popularly understood, can too easily be used to justify the removal of those deemed too expensive or inconvenient, under the pretext doing the greatest good for the greatest number. And there is undeniable historical precedent for the danger of such views.

Bioethics closes itself off to a lot of considerations -- the power issues disabled activists are looking at, the culture, the way language constructs things. Singer seems disinterested in the political economy - I can find no discussion of how class or power relations factor in to "happiness". Let's remember he is a middle class elite academician.

Marta

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/