K-W out

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 07:00:14 PST 2000

>The White House had said it wants to stick to the tradition that the
>IMF post go to a European -- and even a German if possible -- but
>that it did not believe Mr. Koch-Weser had enough experience or
>political clout.

Consistent with what I posted here earlier, I do not believe Koch-Weser's humiliation has been in vain. The pathetic temper tantrum the U.S. threw concerning this appointment has been well in keeping with America's ever more ham-handed approach to international affairs in general. I cannot but believe that the U.S. has squandered diplomatic capital in getting its way here that it will find difficult to replace.