tree hugging nazis, and a quick note on Peter Singer

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 7 09:44:41 PST 2000

Gordon Fitch said:

>...No doubt one can turn up a few Nazis who believed in vegetarianism; this does not make vegetarianism a Nazi program. I'm surprised I have to say that.

Whoa Gordon, I'm not a vegetarian (love those carnitas burritos too much for their artery clogging cholesterol!), but, just 'cuz some Nazi ideologues back then , and still alas (see the Verso book on the German Greens by the journo for Was Tun for example for some evidence, or the very sad turn of the former East German dissident Marxist, Rudolf Bahro, author of The Alternative In Eastern Europe from Verso also, into a foolower of the Bhagwan Rajineesh, and who has uttered words in defence of the Nazi ecologists) have, out of a different ideological matrix from countercultural leftists, also said pro-ecology things, is not to assert an moral equivalence, between far right ecologists and good lefty ecologists.

And since fellow lbo'ers, Doug and Chip, haven't reminded the list, about where one can read the Janet Biehl book from AK Press (hey Chuck0, how bout a plug for them and Spunk Anarchist anarchives!) on the Nazis and Ecology, one can read it, where I just put the reference in parenthesis... the whole work and another is at the first URL below) and also on the excellent right-left list from savanne, that some of us obsessives about the right on lbo are also on. Also on the related topic of Heiddeger and deep ecology see the book by Michael Zimmerman, from UC Press called, "Contesting Earth's Future, " if memory serves. A fellow member of the right-left list had some critical things to say about Zimmerman's Buddhism and other things (no they aren't gunning for the Buddha!), but to my eyes, Zimmerman is a good guide through the thickets of the Heiddeger Wars and Deep Ecology and such things as irrationalism and pomo. Way better than the late high stalinist text of Lukacs, "The Destruction Of Reason, " circa early 50's.

Michael Pugliese

http://www.spunk.org/texts/places/germany/sp001630/ecofasc.html