tree hugging nazis (was Peter Singer & Vegetarian Dogs)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Mar 7 21:14:58 PST 2000

Gordon Fitch wrote:
> >Again, I'm surprised I have to explain these things in a
> >mailing list where the names and works of Marx, Adorno,

Doug Henwood:
> Who was extremely critical of the cult of naturalism that was one of
> the prodromes of Naziism.

> > and
> >Heidegger

> A Nazi!

Yes, of course. But my point was that these are difficult authors, whereas direly primitive fallacies have been employed to disparage "animal rights" activists. In this venue, I expect disparagement on a higher level. I notice as well that the racist criticizing-the-Makah-is-racism theory came back, in spite of all refutation; I suppose, like the "Chomsky was an apologist for Pol Pot" rigmarole, the urgent need for myth overwhelms all appeal to evidence and reason. Or perhaps it was posted in humor. But what's a "granlib" -- a reference to Granola? Is Arrowhead seven-grain breakfast cereal okay?

Gordon