"Red Ken" defies Blair to run for London mayor

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 7 23:06:43 PST 2000

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Nathan Newman wrote:

> ... he very publicly campaigned against the West's deliberate lack of
> intervention back in the early 90s. Livingstone was one of the
> consistent advocates for human rights in the region from early on.

Hmm. I like Chomsky's discussion of the antinomies of "human rights" in the area in _The New Military Humanism: Lessons from Kosovo_.

On Livingstone's support for NATO's bombings -- and his urging of the commitment of ground troops -- I think Cockburn has it right: "...NATO bombing provoked a wave of Serbian killings and expulsions, but that there was and is no hard evidence of a genocidal program. Count another victory for the Big Lie." (The article is at <www.counterpunch.org/biglie.html>.)

C. G. Estabrook