Margins of Being "Human" (was Re: Peter Singer & Vegetarian Dogs)

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Mar 7 23:14:58 PST 2000

At 00:08 08/03/00 -0600, you wrote:

>>We need to reframe the concept of consciousness as not peculiarly human but
>>as the focus of attention. The non-conscious is not some mysterious other
>>realm of an individual psyche but is the basic fabric of engaged
>>interaction by someone within a *social* network.
>>
>>Chris Burford
>>

>Traditionally "consciousness" is used to distinguish people from animals.
>If we define it as awareness of mentality, then it serves that useful
>function. (Animals do not pay any attention whatsoever to their minds.)
>But I see your point. The mind is much more than the focus of attention.
>We are as much our unconscious as our consciousness. The human race is like
>an ocean with six billion waves. Each wave thinks it's separate from every
>other wave. In reality, what makes us human is not the wave-in-itself but
>the fact that the wave expresses the ocean.
>
>Ted

Yes, the Marxist view is that "social being determines consciousness".

That is very different from "being determines consciousness", which is a mechanically deterministic perspective that privileges the individual, either as biological mechanism on its own, or as a product of infantile psychodynamic conflicts with parents, especially mother.

Both viewpoints are mechanically determinist. Instead, we need to reaffirm that social being determines consciousness - and add that it determines non-consciousness as well.

Chris Burford

London