Fw: <alter-ee> Introducing . . . . . FREE RADICAL from L.A. Kauffman

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Mar 8 15:33:41 PST 2000

Duty calls, and I have to try to get in one more....

Michael Pugliese:
> From the wonderful Leslie Kauffman:
> Meanwhile, local fights are escalating. In New York City, for example,
> where I live, there has been a longstanding battle against private
> luxury development on publicly owned community gardens. The other
> night, several hundred people calling themselves the Subway Liberation
> Front staged a raucous outlaw party the other night, taking over first
> an L and then an A train. A large part of the crowd, juiced by its own
> defiance, proceeded to the recently bulldozed Esperanza Garden on
> Manhattan's Lower East Side, where they tore down the developer's
> fence and began replanting the land. This impromptu action came at
> a high price: With no news cameras or legal observers to provide
> cover for the radical gardeners, the NYPD swooped in, badly beating
> a number of the participants.

The people who were busted in the ruins of Esperanza a few nights ago are the very same vegans some of you have been putting down and are still putting down as redolent of Nazi ideology. I spoke to two of them at Food Not Bombs last Sunday; both of them had been beaten up, and their friends were still in jail.

So, people want to stand in their light now? Ironies abound.

Gordon