The Nazi War on Cancer & Goring on Animal Experiments

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Mar 9 22:31:15 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> I prefer free-range chickens to caged birds. Ah, a sweet taste of freedom!
> Yoshie
>
> ***** The New England Journal of Medicine -- July 29, 1999 -- Vol. 341,
> No. 5
> Marc S. Micozzi, M.D., Ph.D.
> To some extent, the social intolerance of contemporary progressive
> movements, such as animal rights, antitobacco activism, temperance efforts,
> and enthusiasm for natural foods, may be seen as similar to the
> "progressive" aspects of Nazi Germany, not only in their goals, but
> increasingly and alarmingly also in some of the methods used to impose
> collective solutions on individuals. ...

Now, this is a rather curious sentence. Collective solutions are imposed on individuals by societies all the time -- in the case of such institutions as the American Medical Association, capitalist corporations, and the liberal State, rather radically. One wonders if the good doctor knows what he is saying; one doubts that he is a devoté of Max Stirner. But onward, or rather backward. We have four neo-Nazi scare-quote-progressivisms: animal rights, antitobacco activism, temperance efforts (by which I suppose he could mean anything from the Drug War to "we support responsible beverage consumption" ads) and enthusiasm for natural foods. Might I suggest that this accumulation is just a bit incoherent? How, for instance, does someone who prefers not to find pesticides in her lettuce a Nazi? In what way is she similar to a Drug Warrior -- is she going to have the produce man dragged off to prison?

I would say this sort of talk was disgraceful, if it wasn't too silly to be anything as serious as disgraceful. Were not the defenders of the traditional and conventional more earnest about their work in years gone by?

Gordon