bubble

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at Princeton.EDU
Fri Mar 10 06:35:23 PST 2000

Sure a lot of especially internet consumer sites will nosedive and take the NASDAQ south with it, but those business to business services are probably somewhat sound, and retailing will be changed beyond recognition too. And the American software business will probably enjoy great commercial success since an expanding array of new capital goods, ranging from microprocessors to medical instruments, will depend on the quality and availability of software for their operation. US medical diagnostic devices will conquer the global market. Genetic screening and testing will become a staple of everday medicine, so some biotech firms will be obscenely profitable. Only the US will be able to conquer the system on a chip market. Probably strong leads by American firms in crucial parts of the chemical business as well.

You breakdown theorists out there can all wait for a crash, I think the question is how we are going to make the most out of the new vibrant American technological capitalism, e.g. questions about genetic privacy, the unemployment effects of automation, the Lessing questions about architecture, the encouragement of R&D into and adoption of most eco sound tech, etc.

Peace and Prosperity, Rakesh