Valerie Solanas (was Re: [Fwd: Re: International Women's Day])

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 10 10:03:23 PST 2000

Doug posted:

><http://www.bcn.net/~jpiazzo/scum.htm>: "Life in this society being,
>at best, an utter bore and no aspect of society being at all relevant
>to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking
>females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system,
>institute complete automation and destroy the male sex."

_S.C.U.M. Manifesto_ remains one of the finest literary provocations, on a par with "A Modest Proposal" in spirit if not in execution. Valerie Solanas deserved a better movie than _I Shot Andy Warhol_. A film in Valerie's spirit should have been directed by someone with a visual talent of, say, a Paul Leduc or a Pedro Almodovar. (Better yet, a Luis Bunuel of _L'age d'or_, but there cannot be another Bunuel, so there's no point in hoping.) The film should have been more magical realist at its Latin best than psycho-biographical in a tame Anglo fashion of _I Shot Andy Warhol_. Grand, sublime, & irresponsible.

Nowadays, no feminist artist does anything like _S.C.U.M. Manifesto_. Everyone is, well, so responsible. And boring! You almost think that the main task of feminism is to reassure men (a) that feminists are not man-haters and to analyze (b) how the "social construction of masculinity" has oppressed men. Well, both (a) and (b) are part of the truth, but not all truths can become manifestos, much less artistic provocations.

toward free-range chickpeas,

Yoshie