Social Protectionism

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Mar 10 18:28:48 PST 2000

Somewhere on the front page of the WSJ, it was noted that Hoffa Jr's opposition to globalization is somewhat surprising since globalization should mean more stuff to be transported from the ports and thus enhance the latent social power of truckers to bring society to its knees. Yet instead of organizing or even threatening strikes, Hoffa is spending his time fighting for non application for China and the social clauses which Max, feet firmly planted on the ground, thinks the WTO governing body will enforce on behalf of the global proletariat. The WSJ could only surmise that Hoffa Jr is enjoying being the center of attention as an anti China and -globalization critic. Yours, Rakesh

Oh yeah? Well I say YOUR horse ugly.

Yes, Rakesh. I think that capitalist governing bodies can be moved to act in the interests of the working class, sometimes by democratic means, other times by force. In other words, I don't lurch from despair and defeatism to wild optimism. For one thing, it's too tiring.

The China thang is going to be over soon, I predict. There aren't the votes to put it through, and the Congress has too much else with which to occupy itself. The silver lining in this cloud for all of you free trade anti-imperialists is that the anti-globalization debate will move on to other stuff, possibly coming to a close enough approximation of internalist bliss to rope in the less loopy among you.

peace and love, mbs