Allianz

Hinrich Kuhls kls at mail.online-club.de
Sun Mar 12 08:48:36 PST 2000

At 05:19 12.03.00 -0500, Michael Pollak asked:

>Is there a good article on Allianz's influence on the German economy?
>
>FT, Friday, p1:
>
>Experts expect that the restructuring of corporate Germany will be driven
>largly by Allianz, the insurance giant, which will hold up to 40 per cent
>of the merged operations [of Deutsche/Dresdner].
>
>Allianz encouraged the Deutsche-Dresdner merger and its shareholderings in
>other companies give it influence over the whole Germany economy.

I think it's not only a question of influence on the German economy, but also a question of influence on the international capital markets as Allianz as a leading insurance company now also owns both Pimco Advisors Holdings, the US fond-manager, and DWS, the leading German fond-manager.

Unfortunately it looks like that there is not any *comprehensive* online article yet. So only some facts - seen on a Reuters graph:

Allianz's most important shares in German companies are (percentages):

38,4 Beiersdorf 21,7 Dresdner Bank 36,1 Karlsruher Lebensversicherung 25,0 Münchener Rückversicherung 25,0 TELA Versicherung

10,4 BASF 5,0 Bayer 17,4 Hypo-Vereinsbank 1,1 DaimlerChrysler 5,0 Deutsche Bank 19,8 IKB 8,8 Karstadt 10,1 Leifheit 11,0 Linde 10,1 RWE 10,1 Schering 2,6 Siemens 10,0 VEBA 5,9 VIAG

Some articles from the German press this weekend on Allianz:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/cgi-bin/w/w-ttt.pl?id=198& This article paints a portrait of Paul Achleitner [maybe you remember: the "A" in Daniel D's equations regarding Schröder's candidates for IMF(d)] who supposedly managed the merger.]

http://www.fr-aktuell.de/archiv/fr30t/20000311002.htm On Allianz's engagement in industrial capital.

Furthermore: http://archiv.nzz.ch/books/nzzmonat/0/$69QAV$T.html http://www.sz-newsline.de/wir/wir10.htm http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/0,1518,68679,00.html http://www.ftd.de/bm/ma/FTD952677542006.html

Allianz's company reports in English: http://www.allianz.com/ !!! http://investor-relations.allianz.com/az/reports/index.html !!! http://investor-relations.allianz.com/meta/business_report/c_index.html Alllianz's Press Service in English: http://www.allianz.de/presse/index_engl.html

HK