Social Protectionism

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Mon Mar 13 10:53:53 PST 2000

From: Max Sawicky
>The distinction between anarchic capitalists and the leaders
>of the capitalist class, so to speak, is well taken, but in
>that case there is an equal lack of evidence on the part of
>the Clintonoids of any substantive support for social
>protection in trade rules. Any bending they have done is
>of the fact that it's an election year. The "fair trade"
>rhetoric of Dem politicians waxes and wanes systematically

I wouldn't doubt that the White House is responding to progressive pressure. That doesn't mean Clinton hasn't figured out how to wield the "social clause" as a weapon. As Gerald Greenfield notes, it won't be the AFL-CIO that issues labor complaints to the WTO. Only the White House can make those complaints. If the president makes a complaint, it will be based on the same political and economic considerations that fuel all of his decisions. Does this extend American power? Does this benefit American multinationals or investors? Sanctions will only apply to *countries*-- poor countries-- not the rich multinationals that exploit them. They can be used, not simply against products manufactured by sweatshops or forced labor, but against any product exported by that country. This could be a powerful weapon against developing nations that start to outcompete American firms. If there's anything in that country's practices which violate labor standards, the US could slap sanctions on whatever export we happen to find threatening, not just the one produced through unfair labor practices. While that particular instance of unfair practice would stop, the relevant multinational could simply close up shop and move elsewhere. Since every country will violate labor standards in one way or another, we can pick and choose our targets based on our own interests.

The social clause provides a moral weapon. It's an exact parallel to the drug war. We know that people take illegal drugs. But we're not really trying to stop the drug use itself. We like widespread drug use. It gives us an opportunity to break down doors and haul people off to jail. The drug war serves as a means of keeping potentially troublesome populations under state control. As to violations of labor rights, we're all for them. A social clause will not eliminate them but will merely give Northern governments a pretext for punishing the South when we feel like it. The social clause will only apply to the South, just as the British ban on alcohol in the 19th century only applied to the working class. As Chomsky points out, the British government singled out gin for prohibition, gin being the working class drink of choice. The government knew perfectly well that workers would keep drinking gin, but now the police had an excuse for breaking up labor meetings. If Parliament had criminalized a prevalent upper class drink, like Irish whiskey, this would have demonstrated a genuine desire to root out the scourge of alcohol. So, too, if the social clause overturned the "right to work" in the American states that still maintain this anti-union policy, that would demonstrate an honest effort to improve working conditions.

>[mbs] As far as trade goes, Reagan and Clinton have been
>pretty consistent; can't speak on Nixon. But this
>is mostly secondary to my point, which was that
>painting the progressive movement's drive for social
>protection clauses as a tool of imperialism is simple
>slander by the politically lost.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that. I'm certainly not. My assumption with progressives is always that they want what's right, but they're apt to delude themselves into believing that a phony liberal in the White House will actually help bring about a better state of affairs for the working class. In fact, Clinton and Gore have one consideration-- power. That's it. Nothing human or decent. Just power.

Ted