Am I from the third world?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 14 09:35:01 PST 2000

Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

>I am more than a little bit shocked that Doug is now referring to me in the
>third person.

Only because I was responding to Patrick, not you; no slight was intended at all, and I'm very sorry if it seemed that way. I was querying his characterization of you as representing the "Third World" - both the notion of a unitary Third World to be represented, and his criteria for authentic representation of said Third World. It's related to my questioning of Patrick's standards for judging the representational fidelity of NGOs. I still suspect most "Third World" workers are a lot friendlier to the notion of a social clause in the WTO than he is, though I certainly have no evidence for that.

Doug