Social Protectionism

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Tue Mar 14 11:01:02 PST 2000

From: Max Sawicky

>[mbs] I don't think anyone here sees the
>effort as "promoting a strengthened WTO."
>Rather, it's promoting social clauses
>and the like wherever the opportunity
>presents itself.

Social clauses will strengthen the WTO by giving it the appearance of legitimacy. More concretely, Clinton has said he will allow social protections only in the context of increased trade liberalization. So whatever gains are made for labor and the environment will be offset by a renewed drive for liberalization. It's like treating an illness by aggravating the underlying condition.

Ted