The ten most important events in American industrial history

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Tue Mar 14 12:32:33 PST 2000

Sorry Max. Your thinking about the time Lewis allegedly punched the President of the carpenters union in the nose at an AFL convention in the early 30's before the founding of the CIO. And from what I've been told that was pretty much newspaper hype. They might of bumped belly's or something on that order of conflict. But, the punch in the nose story sounded better back in the coalfields.

No one has ever done a good in depth bio of Phil Murray--and--I think that's just as well.

The only time that I know of that Murray and Lewis publicly had a disagreement was in 1940 when Murray backed FDR for President. Although, I'm sure they had private differences of opinion. Murray had his style and Lewis had his.

Tom Lehman