[Fwd: THE TEARS OF THE MIGHTY]

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Mar 15 05:36:53 PST 2000

All of this, going back to past debates on free speech, is why I go for absolutist positions on free speech, defending Nazis et al, since one of the hardest fought victories in US politics has been the elimination of most criminal and civil threats to unpopular speech. "Free speech" may not be the ideal when broadcasting it costs so much, but it is far better than the libel and other laws in Europe that do little to suppress rightwing attitudes (see Haider in Austria), but is used quite regularly to suppress left dissent as in this case. And I say that not agreeing with LM's political position on the former Yugoslavia.

Despite the general rightwing swing of the US courts, broad free speech protections, including limits on libel and other civil attacks on free speech and press, have largely survived in the courts. There are few areas where US law is far superior to other countries, but our press laws are one of them.

-- Nathan Newman

On Behalf Of Carrol Cox